The new engineering
This website includes many of my papers and books about a new science of engineering that is conceptually and mathematically much simpler than conventional engineering.
The new engineering is conceptually simpler because it abandons all parameters that are ratios of primary parameters—parameters such as:
· “modulus”, the ratio of stress to strain.
· “electrical resistance”, the ratio of electromotive force to electric current.
· “heat transfer coefficient”, the ratio of heat flux to boundary layer temperature difference.
The new engineering is mathematically simpler because the abandonment of these ratios makes it possible to solve problems with the primary variables separate, greatly simplifying the solution of problems that concern nonlinear behavior. (Just as in mathematics, x and y are kept separate in order to greatly simplify the solution of equations that concern nonlinear behavior.)
Note that, if modulus is used in the solution of a stress/strain problem, it is impossible to keep stress and strain separate because both stress and strain are implicit in “modulus”. And similarly for electrical resistance, heat transfer coefficient, and other parameters that are ratios of primary parameters.
In the new engineering:
· “Modulus” is never used. Stress and strain are always separate.
· “Electrical resistance” is never used. Electromotive force and electric current are always separate.
· “Heat transfer coefficient” is never used. Heat flux and boundary layer temperature difference are always separate.
When parameters such as “modulus” and “electrical resistance” and “heat transfer coefficients” are abandoned, laws such as Young’s law and Ohm’s law serve no purpose, and are also abandoned.
Everything on this website can be downloaded for personal use without charge, including the book entitled The New Engineering.
Hardback copies of The New Engineering can be obtained by sending $39.95 (or equivalent) to Ventuno Press, 1094 Sixth Lane N., Naples, FL 34102. Hardback copies can also be obtained at book stores (ISBN 0-9626220-2-8).
Eugene F. Adiutori
Updated on October 18, 2015
Copyright Ó 2015 by Eugene F. Adiutori
All material on this website may be downloaded and printed for personal use without charge, but may not be sold, reproduced by any means, or republished, without the written permission of the copyright owner.
Table of Contents
2. Book entitled The New Engineering.
a. Review of the first edition published in 2002. (Review was published in Chemical Engineering and Technology 25, (2002) 10).
3. Book entitled The New Heat Transfer.
4. The Russian edition of The New Heat Transfer (published by Mir, Moscow in 1977).
10. My patents.
c. My 1964 paper that was accepted for publication in the AIChE Journal (but never published there), and the amazing view expressed by Professor Rohsenow. (The paper was published in 1994 in the International Journal of the Japanese Society of Mechanical Engineering. It was just as timely and important in 1994 as it had been in 1964.)